Commandery of Bukowina  
     

            The name Bukowina came into official use in 1775 with the region's annexation from the Principality of Moldova to the possessions of the Habsburg Monarchy, which became Austrian Empire in  1804, and Austria-Hungary in 1867.

The official German name, die Bukowina, of the province under Austrian rule (17751918), was derived from the Polish form Bukowina, which in turn comes from the common Slavic form Bukowina, which stands for beech tree.  

  
During the Middle Ages, the region was the northwestern third of "Ţara de Sus" (Upper Country in Romanian) part of the Moldavian Principality, as opposed to "Ţara de Jos" (Lower Country). The region has become the cradle of the Moldavian Principality, and remained its political center until 1574, when its capital was moved from Suceava to Iasi. 

Nowadays in Ukraine the name is unofficial, but is common when referring to the Chernivtsi Oblast as over 2/3 of the region is the northern part of Bukovina. In Romania the term Northern Bucovina is sometimes synonymous to the entire Chernivtsi Oblast of Ukraine, and (Southern) Bucovina to Suceava County of Romania. 

In English, an alternate form is The Bukovina, increasingly an archaism, which, however, is found in older literature.

   
Before the 14th. century
  
Starting with the 2nd millennium BC, it was inhabited by the Dacian tribes,  such as Costoboci and Carpians, for a period cohabitated also by the Celto-Germanic tribe of Bastarnae. From approx. 70 BC to 44 BC, the region was incorporated in the Dacian polity of Burebidsta. 
  
When the Dacian Kingdom of Decebal, which included the territories just on the other side of the Carpathian Mountains from what is today Bukovina, fell to the Romans in 106, the area came under linguistic and cultural influence of the Roman Empire. 
  
In 3rd century (240s270s) the region was plundered by the Goths, in the 4th century by the Huns (370s380s), and in the 6th century (560s570s) by the Avars. 
  
Beginning with the 6th century, Slavic populations entered the region and influenced the locals in respect to language and certain agricultural methods.
   

According to medieval Kievan sources, around 10th century the territory could have been part of the Kyivan Rus, and in 12th to early 14th century, Principality of Halych - Volhynia, included parts of the region. Some sources state that the low-land territory of the present-day Bukovina was included in an early Vlach polity around the city of Siret.

The villages of the Campulung  Valley formed a "republic" that preserved its autonomy even under the Principality of Moldovia which acquired independence in 1359.

   

     
         

 Bukowina landscape 
    
Administration of the Commandery of Bukowina 
    
   Dame Ingeborg Kocjmajewski, DLJ-J
  Commander of the Commandery
   
Programs  
      
   UNDER CONSTRUCTION 
      
 
Home | Commandery of Slovakia | Preceptory of  Klemberg | IGCO International | IGCO Slovakia | Poland
IGCO Abaujvar | IGCO Transylvania | IGCO Galicia | Bavarian Delegation | History of the Order | Contact