Commandery of Burgenland 
     

           

Burgenland is the easternmost and least populous state of Austria - a province of corn and castles

The great Neusiedlersee Lake lies partly in this Hungarian wedge, but mostly in northern Burgenland. Rarely more than 6 ft deep and fringed with reeds, Neusiedler See is remarkable for bird - watching, water sports, coarse fishing, and in winter ice-sailing. East of the lake are salt marshes, noted 

    
for varied wildlife and flowers and a plain carrying immense crops of cereals that sweeps across the frontier, into Hungary.

Burgenland has a very long border: To the west it borders the Austrian provinces of Niederosterreich and Steiermark. To the northeast it borders Slovakia, Hungary to the east and Slovenia to the farthest south.

   
Between Hungary and Austria 
  
During the Roman Empire it formed the core of the province of Pannoonia. After the battle at Augsburg (955), Germanic settlers started to inhabit the area. In 1043 a peace treaty between Kaiser Henry III and King Aba Samuel of Hungary fixed the western border of Hungary along the Leitha river. The territory of the present-day Burgenland remained the western border-zone of Hungary until 1920.

The majority of the population was Germanic except the Hungarian border-guards of the frontier (gyepű). Germanic immigration was also continuous in the Middle Ages from the neighbouring Austria. In the 16-17th centuries German Protestant refugees arrived in Western Hungary to take shelter from the religious wars of the Holy Roman Empire. 

    

After 1440 the territory of present-day Burgenland was occupied by the Habsburgs of Austria, and in 1463 the northern part of it (with the town of Kőszeg) became a mortgage-territory according to the peace treaty of Wiener Neustadt. In 1477 King Matthias Corvinus of Hungary reoccupied, but in 1491 it was mortgaged again by King Ulaszlo II of Hungary to Kaiser MaximilianI. In 1647 Kaiser Ferdinand II returned it to Hungary. In the 17-18th centuries wealthy Catholic landowner-families, for example the Esterhazys and Batthyanys dominated the region.

   
      

After the demise of the Austro-Hungarian monarchy in 1918, the German inhabitants of Deutsch-Westungarn (German Western Hungary, Burgenland) intended to join Austria. According to the 1910 census 291,800 people lived on the territory of present-day Burgenland. Among them 217,072 were German-speaking (74%), 43,633 Croatian (15%) and 26,225 (9%) Hungarian. Roma people were counted according to their mother language.

    
Administration of the Commandery of Burgenland 
    
   Under the supervision of the Grand Council 
  of the Grand Priory of Carpathia 
  
Programs  
    
   UNDER CONSTRUCTION 
    
 
Home | Commandery of Slovakia | Preceptory of  Klemberg | IGCO International | IGCO Slovakia | Poland
IGCO Abaujvar | IGCO Transylvania | IGCO Galicia | Bavarian Delegation | History of the Order | Contact