Commandery of Hermannstadt - Siebenbürgen 
  

      The city was founded in 1190 by German settlers. It was probably built near a Roman settlement, one that would be known during the early Middle Ages as Caedonia.

In the 14th century, it was already an important trade center. In 1376, the craftsmen were divided in 19 guilds. Hermannstadt became the most important ethnic German city among the seven cities that gave Transylvania its German name Siebenbürgen (literally seven cities), and it was home to the Universitas Saxorum, the assembly of Germans in Transylvania.

    
Copper engraving of Hermannstadt, c. 1630
  
Statistics 
  
Statistics regarding the expulsion of Transylvanian Saxons indicate that around 75,000 individuals were deported to the Soviet Union — some 15% of Transylvania's German population (according to 1941 data). 12% of expellees were outside the age limits provided for in the deportation order; a 13-year-old girl was deported, as were people aged 55. 90% of expellees ended up in the Ukrainian SSR (the areas of Dnipropetrovsk, Stalino and Voroshilovgrad), the rest in the Urals.

The expellees were received in 85 camps. A third worked in mines, a quarter in construction, the rest in industry, agriculture or camp administration. Very few were given the jobs they had done in Romania.

The first expellees unsuited for work were returned to Transylvania at the end of 1945. Between 1946 and 1947, about 5,100 Saxons were brought, by special transports for the sick, to Frankfurt an der Oder, a city then in the Soviet occupation zone of Germany.

   

Some 12% of expellees—3,076 individuals—died while in the USSR, three quarters of them being male. When they were freed, a quarter of deportees were sent to Germany, of whom just a seventh returned to Transylvania.

The highest number of deaths occurred in 1947. Starting in 1948, the situation improved, with a dramatic drop in the number of sick and dead expellees.

In 1948, those able to work also began to be freed from the camps (49% of them), so that in October 1949 the camps were shut down. The last third of the expellees returned to Transylvania. Of those brought to the Soviet occupation zone, around half received permission to return home. The rest moved elsewhere (mostly to West Germany), but a few remained in East Germany. 

202 expellees were allowed to return home only in 1950-52. According to Soviet documents, 7 expellees chose to remain in the USSR.

Further turmoil came for Romania's ethnic Germans (this time mainly Bannat Swabians) during the Bărăgan deportations of the 1950s.

      
Panoramic view of Hermannstadt, today Sibiu, Romania. 
  
Today the multiethnic city is recuperating from damage made during the last seven decades. People from different cultures are now trying to reconnect with their past and jointly walk into European Union. The Order of Saint Lazarus, in it's own way, is prepared to facilitate any worthwhile project.
    
    Administration of the Commandery of Hermannstadt
    
Under the supervision of the Grand Council 
of the Grand Priory of Carpathia 
  
Projects 
     
Under Construction. 

  

Home | Commandery of Slovakia | Preceptory of  Klemberg | IGCO International | IGCO Slovakia | Poland
IGCO Abaujvar | IGCO Transylvania | IGCO Galicia | Bavarian Delegation | History of the Order | Contact